[Talk-GB] Geospatial Commission

Gregory nomoregrapes at googlemail.com
Mon Dec 4 13:10:41 UTC 2017

Sorry I'm late to this thread.

OSM UK CIC, we posted this statement:
https://osmuk.org/pinned/uk-set-to-benefit-from-the-release-of-more-geospatial-data/
Although it gives a viewpoint on the budget, the OSM UK community is not
limited to the aims of the CIC.

Is the £80m even to free up OSMM?
I read it as...
a) £80m for the Geospatial Commission (for sandwiches during their
meetings?)
b) it's *first* task is to establish *how to* open up MM, not part of the
task to actually do that.

Some say this could be a victory for OSM UK, or...
It could be a victory for OS, and they pack up and go home, because now OSM
will keep MM up-to-date?

>From Newcastle,
Gregory.

On 24 November 2017 at 14:06, Simon Poole <simon at poole.ch> wrote:

> [...]
>
> Simon
>
> Am 24.11.2017 um 12:22 schrieb Andy Robinson:
>
> Indeed Bob’s may be the best case scenario and I note perhaps the more
> cynical view taken by the likes of Ed Parkes.
>

> I let out a little wee in my pants when I heard the budget announcement.
> Geospatial doesn’t get mentioned much on the floor of the house! So it’s an
> encouraging further nipping at the heels of the giant.
>

> Each time I hear a welcome apparently positive announcement like this it
> makes me pause and wonder whether the tail is wagging the dog. The
> chancellor might be making funds available but the campaigning to get it is
> not done by the politicians but by those who feel it’s a worthwhile cause,
> they needed to sell it. So what influences drives like this? It’s easy to
> dismiss the role of OSM, in fact OSM may have never figured in the
> discussion about this new money, however I like to think we have influenced
> the marketplace for geospatial data in the UK and will continue to think we
> are (in our little world) the tail.
>

> So that brings me on to the what next for OSM. Could it indeed have the
> potential to be the end of contribution to OSM in the UK?  Fortunately I
> think not. We are unique in the marketplace that we can react to new cheap
> technology much quicker than the giants like the OS. Around the corner is
> the prospect of the L1/L5 GNSS dual frequency exploitation to bring us sub
> metre positional accuracy with a standard smart phone. While the claimed
> 300mm accuracy is still a long way short of the OS’s 30mm surveying target
> for MasterMap products its getting us closer to being able to verify the
> near precise position of objects, better local rectification of the imagery
> we trace from and I’m sure lots of other things I’m just not thinking of
> right now. If we combine this with where technology is leading us –
> driverless devices, autonomous drones, improved remote sensing from
> satellites etc – we can expect the tools we use today to add to and
> maintain OSM in the UK to be every improving.
>

> I believe there is another important point too. MasterMap may be a great
> product today but I’m not convinced its fit for even the next 10 years.
> Some of the industries that uses MasterMap in the UK, engineering and the
> building industry to name just two, are rapidly moving to a 3 & 4
> dimensional BIM approach. The 2D MasterMap looks more like an NPE sheet in
> the BIM field.
>

> But, I hear you say, OSM is mostly a 2D product! Right! While we may be
> winning the battle on getting the OS to open up its data we may be losing
> the war if OSM doesn’t react to the future direction of geospatial data. In
> an increasingly 3D and 4D geospatial world OSM is starting to look like a
> rather clunky model. If a new Steve Coast starts a 4D mapping project and
> it gains initial traction would we jump ship?
>

> I’ll leave that one with you for the weekend J

Gregory
osm at livingwithdragons.com
http://www.livingwithdragons.com