[Talk-GB] Christmas / New Year Footpath Mapping meet

SK53 sk53.osm at gmail.com
Wed Dec 6 14:58:55 UTC 2017

Dear All,

I'll shortly be sending a link to a Doodle poll to try & select a suitable
time for a Midlands footpath mapping meeting after Christmas.

In all likelihood, the meeting will be centred on Coton-in-the-Elms in S.
Derbyshire, a few miles S of Swadlincote and SE of Burton-on-Trent. The
location is easily accessed from the A42 and A38.

This area is odd: many paths in woodland areas of the National Forest have
been mapped in great detail, but there are still lots of missing footpaths
as well as ones missing detail, particularly centred on Coton-in-the-Elms.
Detail in the village is again very patchy: some shops and schools, but on
a flying visit yesterday I added 4 pubs.

The main caveat about the area is that most of the pubs are either not open
at lunchtime or don't do food. The one that does is perfectly pleasant, but
seems to be under new management and has mixed reviews recently (Bulls Head
<https://www.openstreetmap.org/node/5266821772>, Rosliston); and
unfortunately The Black Horse <http://www.openstreetmap.org/node/5266509202>
in Coton-in-the-Elms which is in the Good Beer Guide only does filled cobs
(sandwich rolls to those uninitiated in E. Mids dialect) and may not be
open for lunch. So we'll probably have to take our chances with the former.

The geology is Mercia Mudstone, and much of it is arable, so likely to be
muddy and claggy underfoot.

This umap
<http://umap.openstreetmap.fr/en/map/prow-around-coton-in-the-elms_184957>
shows the status of footpath mapping in the area in August. I'll update it
shortly & add Warwickshire & Staffordshire paths (extracted from my EMids
PRoW data).

Regards,

Jerry