[Talk-GB] Importing Website Data

Gregrs gregrs at fastmail.co.uk
Mon Dec 18 14:43:32 UTC 2017

Hi Paul,

On Mon, Dec 18, 2017 at 01:15:08PM +0000, paulmgillard at gmail.com wrote:

>If store data can be pulled from directly from a company's public
>facing website ('store finder' page) is there any reason we can't do
>such imports without discussion with/permission from the company
>concerned?

I believe the problem is licencing. Just because the data is publicly
accessible on a company's website doesn't mean that it has been released
under a licence compatible with that of OpenStreetMap. In practice I
would imagine that most companies would be pleased to have the locations
of their stores/branches on OpenStreetMap, but another issue is that
some of the data might be derived from other sources such as a Royal
Mail database.

Thanks,
Greg

--