[Talk-GB] Importing Website Data

Andy Townsend ajt1047 at gmail.com
Thu Dec 21 17:57:39 UTC 2017

On 21/12/2017 09:15, Ilya Zverev wrote:
> Or do you think the map does not need imports and that every shop and amenity will be mapped without them before they are out of business?

Maybe it's worth having a look at an example.

http://www.openstreetmap.org/way/245390956 is a petrol station in South
Normanton, not that far from me.  It's not that out of the ordinary.  It
was already mapped in OSM as a Shell petrol station (as most were)
before Navads came along.

Here's the data that Navads was able to provide:

  * Postcode
  * Phone number

But here's the data that Navads didn't add and was already in OSM

  * There's a Post Office here
  * There's an ATM
  * There's a Spar convenience store
  * There's a branch of WHSmith

Clearly being able to provide e.g. licence-unencumbered postcode data is
useful, but if we relied _just_ on the likes of Navads we'd have a
pretty poor view of what's available here.

Similarly, Mark Goodge's point ("Inaccurate data is worse than missing
data") is a good one, but in this case we do have a source on the
changeset (see e.g. http://www.openstreetmap.org/way/69974213 up the
road and http://www.openstreetmap.org/changeset/54785385 ) so if stuff
is contradicted by future survey it's clear where it came from and can
be easily updated.

Best Regards

Andy