[Talk-GB] Importing Shell fuel stations

Mark Goodge mark at good-stuff.co.uk
Fri Dec 29 10:47:08 UTC 2017

On 29/12/2017 08:30, Adam Snape wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I don't think we would delete a postcode found in other Open Data just
> on the basis of it not being in Codepoint Open; the error could lie in
> Codepoint Open itself. I suggest that a FIXME would be appropriate where
> two sources appear to contradict each other.

There are two open data sources of postcodes: Codepoint Open and the ONS
Postcode Database. Ultimately, both of those are populated from Royal
Mail data, since it's RM that assigns postcodes. So if CPO and ONSPD
agree that a postcode is deleted (and I'm not aware of any instance in
which they've disagreed), that's canonical.

I think a FIXME is probably a good solution here; hopefully there will
be somebody on the ground who can verify the correct postcode simply by
comparison with known postcodes for neighbouring properties (since a
filling station isn't going to be large enough to have a single-user
postcode).

Mark