[Talk-GB] Non-free sources [was: Re: Importing Shell fuel stations]

Andy Mabbett andy at pigsonthewing.org.uk
Fri Dec 29 11:14:10 UTC 2017

On 29 December 2017 at 08:30, Adam Snape <adam.c.snape at gmail.com> wrote:

> Speaking generally, I don't think it's good practice to be using
> non-free resources like this to research information which is
> not clear from open data, even if we don't use the information
> directly.

Are you happy for people to enter into OSM the name of a store, read
from the store's shop-front signage?

What if that signage is an artistic design, meriting copyright?

What if it is written in a proprietary, copyrighted font?

What about from a non-free photograph, found online? Or in a book,
magazine or newspaper?

Were exactly do we draw the line? Why there?

--
Andy Mabbett
@pigsonthewing