[Talk-GB] Footpath Open Data is not always accurate.

Rob ra at care4free.net
Sun Feb 5 18:21:07 UTC 2017

Thanks to Colin and Jerry for your responses.

Although I understand and agree with what you're saying Colin, I probably didn't make it clear enough in my attempt to be concise that it's the representation on OSM that I've got queries about as I'm fairly au fait with the law on this.  I'll refrain from tagging any sections of a path as a PROW even if it's only a little bit out.
Thanks for the link to the government guide, which I wasn't aware of.  The Ramblers Association/Open Spaces Society's so-called Blue Book http://www.ramblers.org.uk/advice/rights-of-way-law-in-england-and-wales/the-blue-book.aspx is also worth knowing about.

I think what I'll do is show the routes that are actually used, and where they deviate from the definitive route I'll tag them as permissive.  However, even that isn't straightforward as any routes marked out by the farmer (as with a cereal crop) can vary from year to year, or not be marked at all.  When not marked an arbitrary route can often be seen or walkers might (as an example you gave, Jerry) use the field edge to reduce damage to crops.  The definitive route may be the only constant in such cases (except if legally changed).  I had it in mind that in some cases it could be appropriate to show both the PROW and the route that's normally used, so it's encouraging to see that you've done this.  I won't always apply this principle, though, as I don't think it's right somehow to show a PROW going through a house even when it does!

Similarly, I'll have to think about whether to show a PROW going through an impenetrable hedge when there's an alternative route nearby.  If I do, I'll tag the appropriate node as a barrier with a suitable value.

An associated issue is where a path is frequently obstructed or made difficult to walk by undergrowth and there's no alternative route due to barbed wire for example.  I guess one solution may be to show it but add the tag 'barrier:obstruction' in conjunction with a 'note' tag.  (Thoughts?)

I think I'll take each case on its merits as at the moment I can't see a 'rule' that will be sensible for everything.

Cheers,
Rob