[Talk-GB] Footpath Open Data is not always accurate.

Philip Barnes phil at trigpoint.me.uk
Tue Feb 7 14:01:18 UTC 2017

Hi Adam, welcome to the list.

On Tue Feb 7 13:26:00 2017 GMT, Adam Snape wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> This is my first post to this (or indeed any) mailing list. Apologies if
> I've made any errors.
>
> I agree with Colin that we should certainly not be assuming permissive
> status for paths which are not included on the definitive map. The DM is
> legally definitive in the rights that it shows but it is also explicitly
> not evidence about the non-existence of other rights. We can't say "the
> definitive path goes this way, thus the path going the other way must be
> permissive". In order to tag a way as permissive we ought to have some
> verifiable evidence that public use is by permission.

I disagree with you here, the walkable line  should be mapped as the right of way whether it follows the definitive line or not. It absolutely should not be mapped as permissive, the landowner is not giving permission. If the definitive line is obstructed you have an absolute right to go around it.

The walked line and the definitive line are often different, I have heard 50m as being a reasonable guide from the LA.

> As Andy and Colin say, some common sense needs to be applied before adding
> information from the DM/DS into OSM. Until we come up with a  tagging
> system to say "this map feature exists legally but not on the ground",
> adding obvious errors, paths which have subsequently been built across, or
> stiles/gates which now exist only on the DS lessens the usability of the
> map for people actually wanting to use the paths.

We should map what is there, stiles is where we are making a better map.

Thete is some deregulation of footpath diversions on the way, particularly where the walked line and definitive line differ and providing it is agreed by all parties, then a map modification order will be able to be made without expensive lawers getting involved. I am hoping that will improve the situation.

And when you are out walking do take your secateurs.

Phil (trigpoint)
--
Sent from my Jolla