[Talk-GB] Named landuse polygons

Andrew Hain andrewhainosm at hotmail.co.uk
Tue Jan 17 13:33:09 UTC 2017

A recent changeset in southwest London
[https://www.openstreetmap.org/changeset/43807789] added names to landuse=residential and landuse=commercial polygons. The mapper has not responded to the changeset comment that I left some weeks ago. The names themselves read more like descriptions to me as a local and they were added to the existing polygons, which are somewhat arbitrary (you could micromap with a polygon for each block omitting all roads). These names appear on OSM-carto in italics.

What is a general view on when it makes sense to add a name to a landuse polygon?

--
Andrew