[Talk-GB] Named landuse polygons

Dave F davefoxfac63 at btinternet.com
Tue Jan 17 19:50:24 UTC 2017

For residential areas I agree. In this case place=* would be better. An
area's name refers to all entities in the vicinity (schools, parks etc),
not just where people live. Unfortunately landuse=residential is still
misused to be all encompassing of an area or even whole towns.

"The Bow Quarter" appears to be an attempt to posh up the area. Gated
communities scare me as the most dangerous people are usually inside the
fence.

DaveF

On 17/01/2017 13:33, Andrew Hain wrote:
> A recent changeset in southwest London
> [https://www.openstreetmap.org/changeset/43807789] added names to
> landuse=residential and landuse=commercial polygons. The mapper has
> not responded to the changeset comment that I left some weeks ago. The
> names themselves read more like descriptions to me as a local and they
> were added to the existing polygons, which are somewhat arbitrary (you
> could micromap with a polygon for each block omitting all roads).
> These names appear on OSM-carto in italics.
>
> What is a general view on when it makes sense to add a name to a
> landuse polygon?
>
> --
> Andrew

---