[Talk-GB] Mapping bridge heights from open imagery

Fri Jul 7 12:40:16 UTC 2017

Hi all,

It would be great to get bridge height data into OSM, to stop those
embarrassing truck-vs-bridge-deck interface moments.

It turns out that with the advent of open street-level imagery (e.g.
Mapillary, OpenStreetCam, and of course Geograph) it's really easy to
find and tag bridge heights. I've written a short explanation:

	http://www.openstreetmap.org/user/Richard/diary/41858

In brief: choose a railway, follow it on OSM, look at imagery for all
the bridges over roads, find a height road sign, read the height from
it, tag the way accordingly.

It's actually pretty fast, and we could get a lot of the UK's low
bridges done easily. I've added a wiki page so that people can note what
they've done:

	https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/United_Kingdom_bridge_heights

Anyone fancy joining in?

cheers