[Talk-GB] Quarterly Project Summer 2017 July-Sept

Stuart Reynolds stuart at travelinesoutheast.org.uk
Mon Jul 10 13:26:46 UTC 2017

Can we also have some guidance, please, on how to tag station entrances. The wiki (at http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Railway_stations) seems to suggest that we should use railway=subway_entrance, but this upsets me on so many levels (pun intended) because the vast majority of UK station entrances just have door entries at ground level, no hint of a subway. Of course, they often have internal subways between platforms, but that is something else entirely!

I have also come across several styles of station tagging, even in my local (single line) area. For example:

  *   Thorpe Bay station (http://www.openstreetmap.org/query?lat=51.53756&lon=0.76162) has two labelled nodes, although I think that one of these is actually the southern building (area rather than node). Tagging the buildings this way leads to a plethora of naming labels everywhere. (There’s also a missing footbridge, but I will fi that)
  *   Southend Central (http://www.openstreetmap.org/query?lat=51.53756&lon=0.76162#map=19/51.53743/0.71221) appears to have three nodes.
  *   Westcliff (http://www.openstreetmap.org/query?lat=51.53756&lon=0.76162#map=19/51.53717/0.69194) only has a single node, but this appears to be on the building rather than where the wiki seems to suggest it should be, out over the tracks as a “nominal point"

Thanks

On a separate note, I said that I would provide what data I have. In the first instance I can provide railway and subway entrance data from NaPTAN (the entrances are all in the local data sets) - that’s quite straightforward. I will also supply bus track (relation) data from our data sets (EM, EA, SE), although I need to do a little work to make this useable.

What is the preferred format - geoJSON? And who is able to do something with it, presentationally, for e.g. side by side comparisons with OSM if I do provide it?

Many thanks

Regards,
Stuart Reynolds
for traveline south east & anglia