[Talk-GB] Live OSM discussion in ~45 minutes (7.30pm UK time)

Dan S danstowell+osm at gmail.com
Wed Jul 26 20:02:11 UTC 2017

> What the !*&@
>
> Just tuned in & they're talking about hostility & sexism?!

Well, these are common problems in open/libre forums, well documented
in open-source projects such as GNU/Linux and Wikipedia, and it's not
unreasonable to consider them in a talk about the social dynamics of
an open data project. He didn't actually spend much of the
presentation talking about this, basically just quoted some of the old
well-known debates that were aired a few years back. The talk wasn't
an intro to OSM, it was some student's talk about social dynamics in
open projects.

I wasn't very keen on his talk, because he didn't really acknowledge
the fludity of tagging standards. He repeatedly spoke as if the wiki
was the law and people who "broke" the law might eventually be able to
change the law, which to me is a weird way of conceiving it. He also
suggested that OSM should have "mechanisms" to update this law based
on use, without acknowledging that fluid unstructured systems (the
wiki, mailing lists, the openness of osm editing) can perhaps already
be the mediums for it.

He also didn't discuss _at all_ the way that systematically-structured
data is produced from OSM in practice right now by consumers, i.e.
postprocessing.

Andy: why did you ask the speaker "who is leading on addressing
[issues]?" I'd think you'd me much more likely to know the answer than
would the speaker.

Dan