[Talk-GB] Live OSM discussion in ~45 minutes (7.30pm UK time)

Jez Nicholson jez.nicholson at gmail.com
Fri Jul 28 07:43:10 UTC 2017

Just watched the talk. It seemed quite balanced in its observation of how
things get done on OSM. Flexibility vs standardisation is the driving force
of OSM and long may it continue!

I would prefer the use of an alternative term to 'incorrect' although I
think the speaker used inverted commas in the slides to mean 'perceived
incorrect'...perhaps 'non-traditional', 'non-mainstream', 'alternative',
'variant' or 'misleading' depending on the context?

Many discussions on this list are about  'right' or 'wrong' mapping and the
joy is in the anomalies where the real world pushes back against being
modelled.

I deeply respect the opinions of the highly experienced mappers here, but
it shows in practice that a map with massive freedom for large
participation is guided/constrained by a few people. It might be that there
is no solution, or that a solution is not even required, but awareness is
important.

I would welcome a proposal to OSM UK to look into and do some practical
actions to improve diversity, eg we could: obtain some actual figures;
encourage university research; ask people involved in diversity to assist;
run workshops at diversity groups such as CodeCamp or Rails Girls; find
resources to educate ourselves on diversity. But this was not the focus of
the talk.

Regards,
                  Jez