[Talk-GB] Mapping archaeology in towns

Andy Townsend ajt1047 at gmail.com
Thu Jun 15 10:52:02 UTC 2017

On 15/06/2017 11:24, Derick Rethans wrote:
> On Thu, 15 Jun 2017, Neil Matthews wrote:

>> Maybe other large historic towns have good solutions; Londinium, Eboracum?
> I've always understood that OpenStreetMap maps what is *currently*
> there. Visible, and verifyable.
That's pretty much the case in York - for example if you zoom out from
http://www.openstreetmap.org/way/145367452 (a corner of the old Roman
wall) you can see that only the still-existing part of that wall is
mapped (this is separate to the new medieaval wall which is mostly still
complete and mapped separately to the west).
> Things that used to be there (dismantled railways, no longer visible old
> forts and castles, etc.), should not be on OSM. OHM is the place for
> that.

That's certainly where I've added stuff in the past - unfortunately a
server crash meant that everything that I added to OHM was lost. The
server's back now, so second time lucky I guess...

Depending on what the original mapper was trying to do, OHM might not be
the best option - if they're trying to create a map highlighting
historic sites then some sort of GIS package (or even JOSM) might be a
better idea.

Best Regards,

Andy