[Talk-GB] Public Rights of Way in Oxfordshire and Hampshire

Robert Whittaker (OSM lists) robert.whittaker+osm at gmail.com
Tue Jun 27 14:05:55 UTC 2017

On 27 June 2017 at 13:30, SK53 <sk53.osm at gmail.com> wrote:
> It appears that the tool only accepts as mapped rights of way mapped with
> some local identifier, rather than those with a designation tag. Hampshire
> is one of the better mapped places in England and Wales.  have no problem
> with us eventually adding identifiers for PRoW, but surely at this stage we
> really should be focussing on finding and mapping paths which are not on OSM
> at all, and/or getting designation tags on those already mapped but without
> them.
>
> I personally do not find a tool which focuses on identifiers useful for this
> task.

Fair enough. In an ideal world I agree that you might want to do the
comparison / matching without needing identifiers. But I decided that
would be too difficult (for me) to programme, and possibly too
computationally expensive to do well. So I see adding the identifiers
as a useful tool to allow the matching to be cone more conveniently,
and hence allow gaps / missing paths to be more apparent. YMMV :)

Robert.

--
Robert Whittaker