[Talk-GB] Import Progress

Richard Fairhurst richard at systemed.net
Sun Mar 19 19:55:34 UTC 2017

Rob Nickerson wrote:
> Mailing list posts drift off topic way too easily any it's never clear
> when "consensus" is found. Richard F did the right thing in 2013
> when he quit them and I encourage others to do the same

However, just because I no longer spend my time batting back and forth to
every post on the lists, that does not mean I have the right to ignore the
same community guidelines which everyone else follows.

OSM is a community project, not a technical project. It works when people
respect each other, rather than believing they know best.

The import process is a way of making sure that the community is respected.
You can summarise it in six words: "with great power comes great
responsibility". That is, if you are proposing to make bulk changes to the
map, you have to make sure the community comes along with you. You cannot
just short-circuit this because you personally don't like some technology or
other.

If OSM-UK is to be led by people who openly display such disdain for the OSM
community, I want no part of it.

Richard