[Talk-GB] Countryside access map

Chris Hill osm at raggedred.net
Fri Mar 24 19:26:19 UTC 2017

On 24/03/2017 19:17, ael wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 24, 2017 at 06:57:58PM +0000, Chris Hill wrote:
>> On 24/03/2017 17:58, ael wrote:
>>> I have just noticed a newish mapper who has added many footpaths around
>>> Oxfordshire apparently using Bing but with changset comments
>>> "from countryside access map".
>>>
>>> Is this copyright free? I have sent a polite message welcoming to OSM,
>>> but pointing out that rural footpaths usually need a visit, and asking
>>> about that map.
>>>
>>> Is this likley to be legitimate?
>>>
>>> ael
>>>
>> A quick search came up with this
>> https://www.oxfordshire.gov.uk/countrysidemap/
>>
>> That matches the name exactly and it is copyright.
> Well, the mapper has now replied, saying that indeed thatwas the map,
> but that it is open data:
>
> https://www.oxfordshire.gov.uk/cms/sites/default/files/folders/documents/environmentandplanning/countryside/access/os-opendata-licence.pdf
>
> which seems to be right?
>
> I have some video of the alleged end of one of the footpaths that he
> added and it doesn't seem to be there.
>
> ael

That licence is for OS OpenData. That map is overlaid on a copyright OS
map, not the Open Data version. The licenec doesn't release all OS data
as Open Data, only the selected parts.

Additionally, the footpath data belongs to Oxfordshire CC, you need a
licence from them (preferably OGL) and the waiver from OS that releases
the council from the OS viral copyright. AFAIK the council has to ask OS
for that waiver - they may have done this already. Without the OGL
licence from Oxfordshire CC we have to treat the data as copyright and
out-of-bounds to OSM.

--
cheers
Chris Hill (chillly)