[Talk-GB] [Talk-gb-london] New OSM London Meetup - Invite

Lester Caine lester at lsces.co.uk
Tue May 9 08:30:38 UTC 2017

On 09/05/17 08:27, Stuart Reynolds wrote:

> For info, stations are regarded as “national” and so have their own 910
> prefix. So 9100LHONSEA is Leigh-on-sea (OK, it’s not in London but
> that’s the one I know). The alpha code on the end is a match to the rail
> industry TIPLOC codes, which throws up some oddities (such as London
> Victoria and London Bridge having two TIPLOCs each, and Clapham Junction
> having four).

Been a while since I worked with TIPLOC codes ... it stands for 'Timing
point locations' rather than the station itself. So complex stations
like Clapham Junction having several routes through have different
timing points.

Not sure how up to date http://trains.barrycarlyon.co.uk/data/locations/
is and the link to the source is dead (along with other links to Phil
Deave), but then I found
http://nrodwiki.rockshore.net/index.php/AddingJunctionsAndSidingsToOsm.
Not sure that there has been much progress with that.

The open rail data is probably a source that we can use today,
http://wiki.openraildata.com/index.php/File:TIPLOC_Eastings_and_Northings.xlsx.gz
for example.

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL