[Talk-GB] Public Rights of Way data for Cambridgeshire

Robert Whittaker (OSM lists) robert.whittaker+osm at gmail.com
Wed May 10 23:20:25 UTC 2017

After a rather long battle with Cambridgeshire County Council over the
release and licensing of their Public Rights of Way GIS data, the ICO
ruled in my favour again last month, and the Council have now released
the data under the Open Government Licence. This means it's suitable
for use in OSM. :-)

I've added the data to my Rights of Way comparison and progress
tracking tool at http://robert.mathmos.net/osm/prow/progress/ . Thanks
to Barry Cornelius the data is also available in various formats from
his site http://www.rowmaps.com/ . (From the initial look that I've
had, it seems that the Cambridgeshire paths themselves are generally
quite well mapped in OSM, but the tagging with appropriate
designation=* and access tags is variable. The presence of prow_ref=*
tags to allow matching with official data is almost non-existent.)

For anyone who's interested, the correspondence in the FOI/EIR/RoPSI
requests can be read at
https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/public_rights_of_way_gis_data
and https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/re_use_request_for_public_rights_2
. I also have a third request still in progress to try and get the
written Definitive Statements:
https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/help/unhappy/definitive_statement_of_public_r

Robert.

--