[Talk-GB] Public Rights of Way data for Cambridgeshire

Robert Whittaker (OSM lists) robert.whittaker+osm at gmail.com
Fri May 26 14:17:28 UTC 2017

On 11 May 2017 at 20:24, John Aldridge <jpsa at cantab.net> wrote:
> One bit of feedback, from a first try at doing this for real: footpaths
> often cross parish boundaries, and at least in this area change their
> reference when they do so. But your slippy map only displays geometry for a
> single parish at a time, meaning that tracking the prow_ref value for the
> full length of a single path can take a lot of navigation within your tool.
>
> Would it be hard to display geometry for all ROWs overlapping the current
> slippy map extent, whichever parish they are from?

Yes, it can be a bit annoying to move from one parish to the next. The
way I've got things set up at the moment (the Rights of Way for each
parish is in a different file) it would be difficult to display rights
of way over a wider area as you suggest. I see your point, although
I'm not sure adding more would actually make things any easier, as
you'd then be less likely to notice changes in RoW number across
parish boundaries as the change-points don't always correspond to the
modern boundaries.

What I tend to do when I'm working with the tool is to do one parish
at a time and just split the ways at the boundary and tag the half
that's in the parish I'm working on. Then I will do the other half at
some later stage, when I get round to doing the other parish. Not
necessarily ideal, but it works reasonably well for me.

I presume you've found that clicking on the slippy map in a
neighbouring parish (within the same district) will bring up a popup
with a link to that parish's page? This doesn't work across district
and county boundaries, but is helpful for moving around the rest of
the time.

Robert.

PS: Data for Hertfordshire is now available if anyone is interested:
http://robert.mathmos.net/osm/prow/progress/herts/

--
Robert Whittaker