[Talk-GB] Whether to tag/best tag for an unofficial name?

Adam Snape adam.c.snape at gmail.com
Wed May 31 16:01:53 UTC 2017

Hi,

A new mapper has added a name tag, name=Walton Summit Motorway to a local
stretch of motorway: http://www.openstreetmap.org/way/4720086 . The
motorway is officially unnamed like most motorways but this pretty unusual
stretch is known amongst road enthusiasts by the descriptive name  "Walton
Summit Motorway" (see
https://www.sabre-roads.org.uk/wiki/index.php?title=Walton_Summit_Motorway
and http://pathetic.org.uk/secretive/walton_summit_motorway/). The new
mapper isn't the first to have added this name, but it was
subsequently removed.

Should we tag such unofficial names which do have some level of use in OSM.
We do, after all, tag local names.  If we are to include it how is best?
The main name tag seems wrong, loc_name would seem closest but also
probably wrong.

Any help appreciated

Adam