[Talk-GB] Whether to tag/best tag for an unofficial name?

Dan S danstowell+osm at gmail.com
Wed May 31 17:44:20 UTC 2017

> On Wed, 2017-05-31 at 18:29 +0100, Adam Snape wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>> "Is it signed as such?"
>>
>> No. No signed or official name.
>
> We have had issues with other mappers adding made up fantasy
> descriptive names to motorways and trunk roads, these have been removed
> as there is no evidence of them existing. This should go the same way.
>
> Motorways in the UK do no have names and OSM is not the place for this,
> we map what really exists and is verifiable.

There are two different cases to distinguish here.
(1) unofficial names for which scant or no evidence can be found
(2) unofficial names which are widely known to locals and often fairly
easy to find documentary support for in web searches, talking to
locals, etc.
The latter are verifiable IMHO and are valuable information to have in
OSM. The biggest issue is that there's usually very little way to
decide what the spatial extent of these things should be labelled as.

Dan