[Talk-GB] The OSM UK map

Andy Townsend ajt1047 at gmail.com
Thu Nov 2 07:49:14 UTC 2017

On 10/31/17 19:04, Bob Hawkins wrote:

> 1. The portrayal of barriers: we know kissing gates are not rendered
> in OSM but are rendered in Andy Townsend’s map.  In neither case,
> though, do barriers stand out strongly enough, in my opinion.  I
> created coloured images of a gate, kissing gate and stile for use with
> my Garmin eTrex Legend many years ago for this reason.  I continue to
> use them now in Locus Map on my smartphone.  I wish more attention
> would be applied; to place an appropriate image within a square, even,
> so that they are more visible.

My use of "the smallest icons I could get away with" for barriers was a
deliberate style decision; by all means try differently coloured or
larger ones.  There's a "soup to nuts" set of instructions at
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/User:SomeoneElse/Ubuntu_1604_tileserver_load
and once you've done that you can play around with icons and see how
they work with everything else.

> 2. Permissive paths: I do not understand “/permissive paths need
> showing; Andy's cartography does not yet do this but again this is
> something I have experience with.” /Woodhouse Farm in Ipsden, South
> Oxfordshire has provided a permissive footpath and permissive
> bridleways. Both are shown on Andy’s map
> (https://map.atownsend.org.uk/maps/map/map.html#zoom=15&lat=53.11419&lon=-1.31171):

That's a different area - unfortunately you need to click "permalink" at
the top right to get the URL to update (arguably that's a bug - if
anyone knows of an "automatic permalink" plugin for leaflet I'll fix it).

> the footpath is overlaid with a pink dashed line and the bridleway is
> shown as others, simply.  I wonder what is the intention so far as
> permissive paths are concerned? Woodhouse Farm has done walkers and
> horse riders a tremendous service by making these paths available.
> The alternative PRoW route would have to be through woodland,
> obscuring otherwise beautiful views, which we can enjoy so much now.

I think the "permissive paths" comment meant that I don't have a
specific rendering for any "permissive" designation (which is correct -
they'll just appear as grey).  There's certainly an argument to be had
about displaying these but I'm not sure what signifier you'd want to use
(OS and Nick's fork use dash length for "type of path"; my original uses
colour, and there aren't that many colours left).

> 3. Writing of beautiful views, my final item concerns scenic paths:  I
> have commented elsewhere that I wish paths with scenic views could be
> treated like the road atlases I remember where a green ribbon was
> placed alongside such roads.  I have been unaware that “description”
> tags have been used in OSM in the same way.  I wonder, though, what
> purpose such a tag achieves, or could achieve?

Can you give some examples of how such things are tagged?  It might be
possible to work something out, but parsing something based on the
description would be difficult.

Best Regards,
Andy