[Talk-GB] The OSM UK map

Dave F davefoxfac63 at btinternet.com
Thu Nov 2 13:02:13 UTC 2017

On 30/10/2017 17:34, Andy Townsend wrote:
> On 30/10/2017 08:58, Nick Whitelegg wrote:
>>

>> As you may know, the plan is to produce a UK specific OSM mapping
>> site. A start on this has been made here:
>>

>> http://www.free-map.org.uk/osmuk/
>>

>> using a fork of SomeoneElse (Andy)'s cartography with one very minor
>> tweak so far, namely footpaths and bridleways are rendered in a style
>> similar to Landranger maps.
>>

> Glad to be of service :)
>
> There are a couple of other tweaks you'd probably want to do:
>
> o One is to reinstate cycleways as "a thing".
+1

> o Another is railways - I'm guessing you'd want to remove the
> rendering of dismantled railways, and also possibly abandoned ones,

I agree with removing all of the above, except where they're co-tagged
with objects which still exist ie disused bridges:
https://map.atownsend.org.uk/maps/map/map.html#zoom=18&lat=51.344207&lon=-2.344501

> but I'd suggest keeping proposed ones so that people can see where HS2
> is going(!) (as an example,
> https://map.atownsend.org.uk/maps/map/map.html#zoom=15&lat=53.11419&lon=-1.31171
> shows all three types).

Personally I don't add proposed items & they seem to rarely come to
fruition & often fail to be removed.

Other items:

It's great pedestrian crossings are rendered, but the icon gets
swallowed by the road way.

Could the text size in the legend be increased?

A link to the main site at the same location so the notes & queries
features (right hand side) can be easily accessed.

DaveF

> o If you want to do "Welsh Language first in Wales" as described in
> http://www.openstreetmap.org/user/SomeoneElse/diary/42069 I can make
> the load scripts available for that.  It's pretty much what's in the
> diary entry but is a runnable script.
>
>> In terms of server space, we did have a server available to us for
>> development purposes (provided by Birmingham in Real Time) however
>> this will be unavailable for a month or two; however our contact
>> there is going to recommend some cheap hosting options.
>>

> For info, the map.atownsend.org.uk site (which covers the UK and
> Ireland) currently fits nicely on a 4Gb memory / 100Gb SSD disk server
> at Hetzner; at <£15 per month you could probably short-term fund it
> with a whip-round in a pub.  I'm sure that the other competing options
> - OVH et al - are similar; for the size of server I wanted for the UK
> Hetzner made sense for me at the beginning of the year; slightly
> larger or smaller on any spec parameter and something else might have
> been better.
>
> Best Regards,
>
> Andy

---