[Talk-GB] Importing Shell fuel stations

David Woolley forums at david-woolley.me.uk
Fri Nov 3 11:23:57 UTC 2017

On 03/11/17 10:59, Ilya Zverev wrote:
> I have received the list from the Shell UK. Are you suggesting I should buy a ticket and verify each of these on the ground? Are there any better sources for Shell fuel stations, or are you implying the UK is a special restricted no-imports-whatsoever territory?

Whilst I do sometimes think there is too much paranoia about bulk
imports in parts of the UK community, company head offices are
notorious, in my view, for failing to map their branches at the correct
location, often using postcodes.  As such, I'd expect a very diligent
attempt to find existing mappings, and that existing addresses which
appear to have been surveyed on the ground should not be changed, but
rather either the mapper notified through a changeset comment, or a map
note added, to point out the discrepancy.

They will get locations wrong, even when using Google Maps on their own
web site store finder pages.

Generally there is a strong presumption that something already on the
map is correct, especially if surveyed on the ground.

Having said that, I'm not aware of any errors on the ones I personally
know, one of which is new to the map.