[Talk-GB] Importing Shell fuel stations

Philip Withnall philip at tecnocode.co.uk
Fri Nov 3 11:53:08 UTC 2017

On Fri, 2017-11-03 at 12:55 +0300, Ilya Zverev wrote:
> Hi,
>
> You might remember a few months ago I discussed here importing of
> Shell fuel stations. The data provider is Navads, which has a
> contract with Shell for putting their stations on the map. They asked
> me to proceed with the import and sent an updated list of the
> stations. I have prepared an import and would like to do it in a few
> days.
>
> Please help me review the data. Here is the updated map:
>
> http://bl.ocks.org/Zverik/raw/ddcfaf2da25a3dfda00a3d93a62f218d/

I just checked the 4 nearest me (3 by Kendal, 1 at Newby Bridge):

http://bl.ocks.org/Zverik/raw/ddcfaf2da25a3dfda00a3d93a62f218d/#12/54.3
005/-2.8400

The changes to Lound Road are all entirely correct. The changes to
Prizet services (on the A591) are mostly correct, although adding
addr:street=A591 is incorrect, since that’s a ref, not a street name.

The Newby Bridge services are a bit more of a mess. The import is
proposing to add a new node on top of a house. The garage already
exists in OSM, further to the south and incorrectly labelled as a
Texaco garage. Having checked, it’s now a Shell. The proposed tags for
the new node include the inappropriate addr:street=A591 — inappropriate
both because it’s a ref, and because the road it’s on is actually the
A590.

---

Overall, I think this is valuable data to add to OSM, and it’s great
that Shell are freely licensing it and working to get it included.
However, as others have said, once data is in the map it’s assumed to
be correct — spotting and fixing incorrect data is much harder than
adding missing data. So this import should be done carefully.

I’m not an expert, but I would suggest either:
 • Importing the data as nodes which are not tagged as amenity=fuel,
and letting the community merge them over time. This is how the NAPTAN
import was done.
 • Providing a comparison tool (like bl.ocks.org) and letting the
community manually reconcile the map with your data. If you provide
progress statistics (like http://robert.mathmos.net/osm/postboxes/progr
ess/) that might encourage people.

---

Finally, the new nodes seem to have a navads_shell= ID on them. Perhaps
it would make more sense to use a Shell-specific ID, just in case Shell
decide to switch ad partners away from Navads at some point, which
would leave a load of orphaned IDs in OSM?

Philip