[Talk-GB] Importing Shell fuel stations

David Woolley forums at david-woolley.me.uk
Fri Nov 3 16:09:58 UTC 2017

On 03/11/17 15:35, Philip Barnes wrote:
> I would dispute that the operator is most locations is Shell and that
> the brand should be Shell, but they are independent businesses who have
> a franchise to sell Shell fuel, but Shell do not employ the cashier,
> the mechanics or supply what is sold in the shop.

I wondered about this and tried to research it.  It looks as though
Shell don't do a standard franchise operation, where they only provide
the branding and branded products, but do something in between, where
they supply the actual petrol station as well, but they then
sub-contract the shop to a small local business, but with some branding
conditions (I've actually seen the head office provided plans of what
must be on each shelf, although I'm not sure if it was Shell at the time).

I guess it is closer to a tied pub than a Burger King franchise.  I'm
not sure how to correctly code it.  Arguably Shell operate the station
as a whole, but the shop and cash desk area has a different operator.

brand=Shell seems safe, but operator is confusing.