[Talk-GB] Importing Shell fuel stations

Philip Barnes phil at trigpoint.me.uk
Fri Nov 3 19:29:27 UTC 2017

On Fri, 2017-11-03 at 11:09 -0700, Paul Norman wrote:
> On 11/3/2017 10:51 AM, Ilya Zverev wrote:
> > Philip, the shell.co.uk website gives the same opening hours for
> > the Branting Hill station as the source dataset. Basically,
> > everything in the dataset is the same, except for locations, which
> > have been improved by the Navads team.
>
> What percentage of the opening hours in Shell's dataset do you
> estimate
> are wrong?

Thats the million dollar question, I have only looked at the ones
within my stamping ground. All it proves is the the source data is
broken.

I do not deny that the import matches the hours stated on shell.co.uk,
but applying a sanity check. It is on the outbound side on a commuter
route into a major city, would any business selling fuel hope to
survive if it closes at 16:00 on weekdays?

I can apply local knowledge, it does not only open Mon-Fri 08:00-16:00,
Sat-Sun 10:00-18:00 and those hours should look wrong to any mapper
looking at them.

And, as its not a field in the import or in OSM, I will just ignore the
spelling howler on http://www.shell.co.uk/motorist/station-
locator.html#iframe=Lz9sb2NhbGU9ZW5fR0IjL0A1Mi44NTEsLTMuMDU3MDQsMTV6LyF
ONFh5QT9faz1tMWk0dmI=
But I am going to survey it :D

Phil (trigpoint)