[Talk-GB] Importing Shell fuel stations

Rob Nickerson rob.j.nickerson at gmail.com
Fri Nov 3 20:42:39 UTC 2017

Hi all,

My thanks to Andy for finding that this data is not perfect. My thanks also
to Phil for finding that the existing OSM data for Shell Porthmadog is, to
use Phil's words from a later email, broken.

Now that we have ascertained that neither data set is perfect, can we
please discuss whether there is value in adding Shell's/Navad's data.

My suggestion is that we ask Ilya to look in to the road naming issue where
we have a road ref as the name (e.g. resulting in things like "663-667 A46"
as an address), but otherwise allow the import of the proposed tag_new
values. We can then get a list of the proposed tag changes (tags_changed)
and check these manually.

This should give us new tags that have an error comparable to our own
mapping (we all make mistakes) with the potential to make improvements to
our data by investigating the proposed tag changes. It also reduces the
amount of work. By pure fluke I have actually visited all the Shell
stations that have been called out so far. There is no way I see us OSM
craft mappers visiting all of the rest within sensible time-frames.

How does this sound?

Is there any other systematic issues such as the refs as road names issue?

Thanks,
*Rob*

P.s. I checked those close to me. All look good.
P.p.s. By "sensible time-frames" I mean 12 months. The number of fuel
stations is reducing and shortly (thanks to the autonomous and electric
vehicle bill currently oing through parliament) they will have to start
adding EV charging points. That is, expect rapid changes and hence a target
of 12 months to keep our data fresh.