[Talk-GB] Prow_ref format

Dave F davefoxfac63 at btinternet.com
Sat Nov 4 17:49:30 UTC 2017

Hi

I've started adding Prow_ref=* to the paths within my Local Authority.
I've been using the format as decided by them.

I noticed another mapper has already added a few, but using the format
by Barry Cornelius at rowmaps.com. I think this shouldn't be used as
it's Barry's own concoction.

As the LA is the organisation someone would most likely converse with
about PROWs, it seemed sensible to use the format issued by them. It
makes verification of any updates *much* easier.

To check I looked at the wiki:
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:prow_ref

I wasn't really surprised to find another format recommended. A couple
things appear wrong with this:
* including the parish name in any format other than as issued by the LA
will lead to confusion if their boundaries are amended
* path abbreviations are unnecessary as their classifications are
already defined in other OSM tags (highway & designation)

Having a 'standard' within OSM seems counter productive as it would make
it non-standard with the vast majority of LAs.

Your thoughts?

DaveF

---