[Talk-GB] Prow_ref format

Philip Barnes phil at trigpoint.me.uk
Tue Nov 7 13:06:48 UTC 2017

On Mon, 2017-11-06 at 13:57 +0000, Robert Whittaker (OSM lists) wrote:
> the RoW within that area.)
>
> FYI: AFAIK, the value in rowmaps isn't supposed to be a ref for use
> in
> OSM, and has been deliberately standardised to suit the author's aims
> and database structure. The initial two characters are a code for the
> county, while the digit after the final slash is a segment number to
> distinguish GIS objects with identical other parts of the key. What's
> in the middle has been extracted from the council-supplied GIS file
> in
> some way. In terms of OSM's prow_ref key, I think the county-code and
> segment numbers should both be neglected. We don't add either to road
> reference numbers for example, despite the latter being likely to
> appear in GIS files.

Robert
Please do not ignore the segment numbers, these are in the ROW world
called links and certainly in the Shropshire case are taken directly
from the GIS data. They are not something made up by rowmaps. Each link
has a unique reference and when mapping I do split the paths at these
point. A link being when it intersects with a road or another right of
way.

These are important when reporting path issues and whilst not essential
using them does save the overloaded rights of way teams time.

The parish code format is in my view preferable to the colloquial name
that is probably used on the definitive map, but that is something we
will only consult if there is a legal dispute. The GIS data is the day
to day data and is mostly correct.

Most of us do not have the time to look at the definitive map during
working hours.

The colloquial name can easily be generated from the code, which also
gives far more information to those of us using it regularly.

Phil (trigpoint)