[Talk-GB] Welsh language map

Andy Townsend ajt1047 at gmail.com
Wed Nov 15 15:44:45 UTC 2017

https://map.atownsend.org.uk/maps/map/map.html#zoom=10&lat=51.8697&lon=-5.068
also shows Welsh names in Welsh-speaking parts of Wales (using a .poly
from Jerry, actually), but that's really a solution to a different
problem (described at
http://www.openstreetmap.org/user/SomeoneElse/diary/42069 ).

On 15/11/2017 15:24, SK53 wrote:
> I heartily agree that both english & welsh names need to be shown side
> by side, for this reason can I suggest that when editing names to add
> a Welsh name if the existing name is English (London Road for
> instance) also add a name:en tag. If we can work just with name:cy &
> name:en tags in rendering we can achieve a lot more.

"Displaying side by side" (perhaps one bracketed after the other) is
very doable in lua;
https://map.atownsend.org.uk/maps/map/map.html#zoom=18&lat=53.233295&lon=-0.991688
is an example of that in another context.

> The basic overlay idea works for street & place names (and one can
> offset welsh language names in one direction and english names in the
> opposite ones. Finding colours which dont create conflicts and
> legibility issues is another thing. I'll see if I can fish out an
> example from my carto rendering experiments.

I suspect that an overlay may not be the way to go (if possible) because
you won't get collision avoidance between the overlay and the main
map*.  Here's an example of that:
https://map.atownsend.org.uk/maps/map/map.html#zoom=16&lat=53.2387&lon=-1.01152
those two names apply to the same bit of track but Mapnik's clever
enough to ensure there's no clash.

Best Regards,

Andy

* although maybe having the overlay also containing every other piece of
text, but in "transparent on a transparent background", may work!