[Talk-GB] Importing Shell fuel stations

Robert Whittaker (OSM lists) robert.whittaker+osm at gmail.com
Thu Nov 16 12:48:31 UTC 2017

On 15 November 2017 at 18:38, Brian Prangle <bprangle at gmail.com> wrote:
> Here's a strawman to start the discussion:
>
> Use Harry Wood's improved visualisation as a progress checker, with a colour
> change for  missing filling stations to red
> Get active mappers to add/amend data around their localities or journeys
> Change marker colour for filling stations that are "complete" with Shell
> data where it is correct to green
> Watch the map turn green as we make progress

That sounds good to me. The one issue I have with the import though is
the reference numbers being proposed. As I think someone already noted
in the previous discussion, these seem to belong to the third-party
rather than being an official branch number assigned by Shell. So I
don't think we should include these numbers in OSM. On the other hand,
having some form of id/key would certainly be useful in terms of
future updates to the data. I don't know exactly what Shell do, but
I've seen what I assume are branch reference numbers on display at a
couple of Shell petrol stations (I think in conjunction with the "fill
& go code" mobile payment system identifying each pump as a branch
number followed by a pump number). See e.g.
http://www.openstreetmap.org/way/248030653 Assuming these branch
numbers do exist and are expected to be stable, I think we should be
using them instead.

And +1 to Adam Snape's comments about licensing.

Robert.

--
Robert Whittaker