[Talk-GB] Importing Shell fuel stations

Adam Snape adam.c.snape at gmail.com
Fri Nov 17 08:14:08 UTC 2017

Hi,

On 16 November 2017 at 20:19, Ilya Zverev <ilya at zverev.info> wrote:

> As for the questions about license and location quality, I answered these
> in May:
>
> https://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/talk-gb/2017-May/020216.html

Not completely. I'm not convinced that the word of a third party (nothing
personal) that another company has been paid by Shell to input their
business locations into various online maps necessarily equates to Shell
consenting to their data being released under the ODBL. Nor am I satisfied
with your (again, nothing personal but as a third-party) assurance that the
co-ordinate information "all placed properly on top of the fuel stations"
with an "error of less than 10 metres" is "definitely not geo-coded".
Somebody able to offer that certain assurance about how data was
definitely *not
*acquired should be equally able to explain how it definitely *was*
acquired.

I apologise if this seems like I am being obtuse but OSM has a
long-standing policy of using sources which we are certain are okay for us
to use. These are the standards we hold public sector open data releases
to.. If this does (as Brian hopes) set a precedent private data releases,
it should confrom to the community's existing import standards, not set a
precedent of vagueness regarding licencing. I do hope you can clear this up
and we can map the locations because there is lots of useful information
there.

Kind regards,

Adam