[Talk-GB] Tagging "Shared space" roads (Preston City Centre)

Adam Snape adam.c.snape at gmail.com
Sun Oct 1 13:12:08 UTC 2017

Hi,

Over the past couple of years Fishergate, the high street in Preston, and
some surrounding streets have been redeveloped and these highways are now
designated as 'shared space' https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shared_space

Following redeveleopment these were mapped as "highway=living_street".
Earlier this year fellow mapper 'lakedistrict' left a note saying that this
seemed incorrect as this wasn't a residential scheme, I agreed and changed
the roads to unclassified highways (+ 1 tertiary), adding traffic calming,
surface and access tags as appropriate. These roads have recently been
changed back to highway-=living_street by another mapper 'Pete Owens'

To move things forward I would like others' opinions about how we should
map such shared space schemes Are we happy to broaden the definition of
living_street to include them or are they better mapped as ordinary streets
with additional tags? Another potential option which I toyed with was
mapping them as highway=pedestrian, adding access tags (bicycles are
permitted, motor vehicle access varies across the area from 24/7
thoroughfares, to time conditional/destination/psv only access).

I'll draw lakedistrict and Pete Owens' attentions to this email so that
they can contribute to the discussion.

Kind regards,

Adam (ACS1986)