[Talk-GB] Tagging "Shared space" roads (Preston City Centre)

David Woolley forums at david-woolley.me.uk
Sun Oct 1 13:24:09 UTC 2017

On 01/10/17 14:12, Adam Snape wrote:
> To move things forward I would like others' opinions about how we should
> map such shared space schemes Are we happy to broaden the definition of
> living_street to include them or are they better mapped as ordinary
> streets with additional tags? Another potential

I would say that they are not "living streets".

Note that the UK term for a real "living street" is actually "home
zone", and I think that is what you will see on the signage that should
be used to justify their mapping.

Shared use possibly needs its own highway tag.  It includes living
streets, but is broader.

Living streets are more about things like children playing in them,
which is not something that would be encouraged in a High Street.

(Searching on "Living Streets" gives false positives for a charity that
encourages walking as a means of transport.)