[Talk-GB] Rendering kissing gates in OSM

Philip Barnes phil at trigpoint.me.uk
Tue Oct 10 09:42:28 UTC 2017

On 10 October 2017 09:30:38 BST, Bob Hawkins <bobhawkins at waitrose.com> wrote:
>I wonder why kissing gates are not rendered in OpenStreetMap –
>certainly in the Standard version?  Their installation in place of
>stiles in my part of South Oxfordshire is increasing apace thanks to
>the work of the Chiltern Society.  Are they a particularly GB or UK
>phenomenon and, as such, not considered to be of sufficient importance
>to act upon?  Can a case be made?

I would go further and say they are probably an England and Wales concept based on that even in Scotland rights of way law is different. The same goes for stiles.

Andy's map does render them and is the best solution for countryside mapping.

I think getting things like stiles and kissing gates into the standard style would be infinitely improbable. The style does seem to be urban centric. The loss of colour on tertiary roads is one area where the style has become less friendly in rural areas.

Phil (trigpoint)