[Talk-GB] Quarterly Project: Addresses and Postcodes

Robert Whittaker (OSM lists) robert.whittaker+osm at gmail.com
Tue Oct 10 18:07:57 UTC 2017

It doesn't seem to have been mentioned here yet, but this quarter's UK
mapping project is to improve addresses and postcodes:
https://osmuk.org/uncategorized/jump-in-to-our-quarterly-mapping-project/

I've had a go at starting a wiki page for it at
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/UK_2017_Q4_Project:_Addresses_and_Postcodes
which will hopefully contain some useful information. I'd encourage
others to help improve it further.

To coincide with the launch of the project I've also done a bit of
development on my previous postcode analysis tools at
http://robert.mathmos.net/osm/postcodes/ . You can now see stats of
how many postcodes are mapped in each area, district and sector, as
well as viewing potential errors (postcodes not found in Code-Point
Open, or that are a long way from their centroid) to check/fix.

As well as just generally increasing the number of addresses and
postcodes in OSM, a couple of possible goals for the quarter would be
to ensure we've map at least one postcode in each sector (only 615 to
go), and to reduce the number of sectors with less than 5% of units
present in OSM (currently 5562).

I'd also like to draw your attention to the OSM/FHRS comparison
excellent tool at http://gregrs.dev.openstreetmap.org/fhrs/ which is a
great source of addresses/postcodes of food outlets to add in areas
where some amenities are mapped but not individual houses.

Robert.

--
Robert Whittaker