[Talk-GB] Quarterly Project: Addresses and Postcodes

Adam Snape adam.c.snape at gmail.com
Thu Oct 19 08:35:40 UTC 2017

I'm convinced that many such addresses are unnecessarily long (are there
really multiple Weldons in the Swanscome postal area?). Nevertheless we
should have a way of mapping them if they are the official address. I agree
that more general guidance would aid consistency. My address mapping
practice is as follows. I would welcome correction if others feel I am
doing something incorrectly::

   - The post town https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_post_towns_in_the_
   United_Kingdom is tagged as addr:city (whether or not it is a city or
   indeed whether an otherwise more important place is nearer). Though this
   should all be in upper case when used I add the tag in lower case with an
   initial capital letter as it would normally be written in a sentence.

   - For sub divisions of this area the wiki has documented tags
   addr:suburb and addr:hamlet. I tend to default to suburb everywhere except
   when dealing with an actual isolated hamlet. Where there are two
   subdivisions as in Steve's example, I'd use hamlet for the smaller one  and
   suburb for the larger one.

   - The wiki suggests to avoid addr:street and addr:place together but I
   use them for things like named retail/business parks where there is also a
   street address eg. https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/527520264

   - I do not tag the name of the property separately if it is the same as
   the main name=* tag

   - Counties have not been formally part of postal addresses for many
   years. Royal Mail permits people to optionally add the name of the old
   Postal County, modern administrative or ceremonial county, or traditional
   county to their address according to their personal preference, but this
   plays no role in delivery. So I do not tag a county in the address.

So I'd tag Steve's example: name=The Spring River, addr:street=Talbot Lane,
addr:hamlet=Weldon, addr:suburb=Ebbsfleet Valley, addr:city=Swanscombe,
addr:postcode=DA10 1AZ

I hope that helps

Adam

On 18 Oct 2017 11:49 p.m., "Steve Doerr" <doerr.stephen at gmail.com> wrote:

On 10/10/2017 19:07, Robert Whittaker (OSM lists) wrote:

> It doesn't seem to have been mentioned here yet, but this quarter's UK
> mapping project is to improve addresses and postcodes:
> https://osmuk.org/uncategorized/jump-in-to-our-quarterly-mapping-project/

It would be useful to have some guidance on tagging for UK addresses. For
instance, how would you tag the different elements of the following address
for a pub/carvery that opened recently near me:

The Spring River
Talbot Lane
Weldon
Ebbsfleet Valley