[Talk-GB] Quarterly Project: Addresses and Postcodes

Lester Caine lester at lsces.co.uk
Thu Oct 19 11:04:26 UTC 2017

On 19/10/17 11:35, Adam Snape wrote:
> Doesn't its location within the UK make an explicit UK tag unnecessary?
But when reading a single object tags do you know just where it is? Some
other mechanism has to return the 'inside boundary' data which takes
processing power.

> The postcode, where present does usually indicate the other address
> details (though very occasionally postcodes can include more than one
> street). However we have no way of tagging attributes to a postcode
> rather than an OSM object.
The original UK postcode rules were one (or more) postcodes per street.
The rules have been bent a little but this is achieved by making the
'extra' street data part of the building details rather than the
postcode. Accessing secondary data without having to store ALL of it in
every tag is the problem, and one that should be solvable?

> Using associated street relations
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Relation:associatedStreet might be an
> option but seems a bit overly complicated.
Relations have never worked well in my view. Comes full circle here. How
do you identify the boundaries that objects are inside when it is
described by a complex relation. Properly handled 'relations' could
allow all higher level data to be accessed in a simple data read ...
something relational databases are good at.

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL