[Talk-GB] Quarterly Project: Addresses and Postcodes

Lester Caine lester at lsces.co.uk
Thu Oct 19 11:56:46 UTC 2017

On 19/10/17 12:37, Marc Gemis wrote:
> Then at least people know that they should not check with Nominatim.
>
> AFAIK, Nominatim does not try to generate an address you can put an a
> letter.  It tries to show the address as part of the administrative
> hierarchy defined by the other objects in OSM. Some of those
> administrative levels are not used for letters or navigation where I
> live.

Nominatim produces something of a overloaded location string

Residential Road Smallbrook Road, Broadway, Wychavon, Worcestershire,
West Midlands, England, WR12 7EP, United Kingdom

but then fails to return the street if you do a postcode lookup.

Postcode Broadway, WR12 7EP, United Kingdom

But the main point here is that there are a large number of other useful
boundaries that can be identified via postcodes. It would be nice though
if we could simply use the NLPG reference for every property since it
SHOULD be a freely available database that council tax payers have
financed and councils are required to keep up to date. But it's a
chargeable resource to use :(

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL