[Talk-GB] Quarterly Project: Addresses and Postcodes

Stuart Reynolds stuart at travelinesoutheast.org.uk
Thu Oct 19 12:45:51 UTC 2017

The Post Office is quite happy to invent places and create addresses that don’t reflect the reality on the ground.

For example, Shoeburyness is actually South Shoebury (the CofE church is still called St Andrews South Shoebury) but the PO insisted (in the dim and distant past) of calling it Shoeburyness because the Garrison was out on the ness.

Equally, a little more up to date, New Mills has a post town of Stockport, in Cheshire (or possibly Greater Manchester these days, I’m not sure of the boundaries) despite New Mills being firmly in the administrative area of Derbyshire. Much to the irritation of the people I knew in New Mills at the time!

We run a risk of people external to the UK not understanding this when we put it into OSM.

Regards,
Stuart