[Talk-GB] Quarterly Project: Addresses and Postcodes

Robert Whittaker (OSM lists) robert.whittaker+osm at gmail.com
Thu Oct 19 18:46:04 UTC 2017

On 19 October 2017 at 13:38, Ed Loach <edloach at gmail.com> wrote:
>> For anyone else reading, we're talking about
>> http://robert.mathmos.net/osm/postcodes/stats/
>
> When I drilled down a bit I found an NG column with a * in it, e.g.
> http://robert.mathmos.net/osm/postcodes/stats/CO/CO13/
>
> In this instance I think the 4 CO13 3 codes are PO Boxes but fall just below your threshold of 5 but am wondering if NG is non-geographic?

Yes, "NG" is non-geographic. Royal Mail publish a list of
non-geographic sectors every six months, which I've parsed and
imported into my tool. I've now added a note under the table to
explain this.

You would have been right about the 5 threshold, but actually there
are other units in different sectors that are located at the same
delivery office, which would have pushed it over. The problem was
actually a bug in my code, that meant that sectors with no units under
the threshold didn't get reported properly. That should now be fixed.
(Although I should probably look to make it automatically discount all
postcodes in sectors flagged as Non-Geographic, rather than using the
threshold for them -- but that will need a bit more SQL magic to
achieve.)

Robert.

--
Robert Whittaker