[Talk-GB] Tagging Schools with fhrs:id

Gregrs gregrs at fastmail.co.uk
Sat Oct 21 07:55:09 UTC 2017

Hi Lester,

On Fri, Oct 20, 2017 at 08:33:07PM +0100, Lester Caine wrote:

>Bigger collage complexes may well have additional catering outlets
>across multiple campuses which need separate objects for each campus,
>building and potentially each identifiable outlet. It should not be a
>problem identifying each outlet and since the FHRS data is open licence
>http://ratings.food.gov.uk/enhanced-search/en-GB/Rugby%20School/Rugby/Relevance/0/%5E/%5E/1/1/20
>provides every inspection point and the raw data can be download from
>http://ratings.food.gov.uk/OpenDataFiles/FHRS319en-GB.xml and a couple
>of the 8 entries for Rugby School are at the same postcode. So one needs
>separate objects to hold these fhrs:id records rather than the campus
>boundary.
>
>Bottom line ... there should be separate objects where that is necessary
>and it would be nice if the larger operations such as Rugby School
>helped with detailed campus maps as many of the collage and university
>sites have been doing?

I agree that in the case of more complex campuses each separate FHRS ID
should be attached to the relevant building if possible, and I think
that the associated postcode should also be attached to that building
rather than to the school boundary in these cases. This is what I have
done in the case of Rugby School (with the added bonus of local
knowledge) and it seems to work well e.g. Stanley House within Rugby
School: http://www.openstreetmap.org/way/259571188.

The comparison tool (http://gregrs.dev.openstreetmap.org/fhrs/) can also
be used to visualise the location of each FHRS inspection point
(although these aren't always geographically accurate as within the FHRS
data they are based on the location of the postcode centroid), whether
this inspection point has been linked to an OSM node/way using the
fhrs:id tag and whether the postcodes match. My hope is that this should
remove the need to download the data manually.

Thanks,
Greg

--
Twitter: @gregrs_uk