[Talk-GB] FHRS/OSM comparison tool now includes graphs

paul.bivand paul.bivand at blueyonder.co.uk
Mon Oct 23 15:49:45 UTC 2017

A lot of authorities exclude up to a third of fhrs records from geocoding.  These seem to largely be people trading from home and many social care establishments e.g. refuges from domestic violence.
It's quite plausible that authority practice on this can change.
Paulbiv.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy smartphone.
-------- Original message --------From: Gregrs <gregrs at fastmail.co.uk> Date: 23/10/2017  16:30  (GMT+00:00) To: "Robert Whittaker (OSM lists)" <robert.whittaker+osm at gmail.com> Cc: talk-gb <talk-gb at openstreetmap.org> Subject: Re: [Talk-GB] FHRS/OSM comparison tool now includes graphs
Hi Robert,

On Mon, Oct 23, 2017 at 04:22:35PM +0100, Robert Whittaker (OSM lists)
wrote:

>If you still have postcodes for those, you can look up the postcode
>centroid in Code-Point Open and use that as the lat/lon instead. (In
>fact, I think that's what the locations you're currently showing are
>at least in a few local authority areas around me -- establishments
>with the same postcode seem to have coincident marker positions -- so
>presumably that's how many of the <geocode> coordinates have been
>computed in the first place.)

Thanks for your email. Yes, I'm pretty sure that's how the locations
have been derived in most cases and the comparison tool coalesces nearby
establishments into a single marker position and displays a list in the
popup for that reason.

If the FSA aren't able to solve the problem, I may add another stage of
processing to the comparison tool and look up postcode centroids.

Thanks,
Greg

--
Twitter: @gregrs_uk