[Talk-GB] pub defined as a relation

Dave F davefoxfac63 at btinternet.com
Tue Oct 24 21:15:29 UTC 2017

Oh Dear.
I've always been hesitant to call out specific contributors by name, but
user 'mentor' has been a repeated thorn in my side whenever he's (male?)
'contributed' in my locale. Those edits can, at best, be described
'assumptive' (either that, or he's widely travelled within the UK,
whilst blindfolded).

For this specific example: From aerial images, I would tag the whole
area, including rear patio area/car parking as amenity=pub, name=* etc &
combine the full extent of the building as building=pub. Both relations
appear unnecessary.

Additionally the residential area could be tweaked around the shops/pub
& landuse=retail be added.

Your 2nd point:
Coincidentally I've just noticed that it only returns the first option
(swap nodes with ways to see). I'm unclear if it's by design or a recent
update error. I'd be interested to know the answer.

Try:

{{geocodeArea: Brighton and Hove}}->.searchArea;
(
node["amenity"="pub"](area.searchArea);
way["amenity"="pub"](area.searchArea);
relation["amenity"="pub"](area.searchArea);
);
(._;>;);
out body;

DaveF

On 24/10/2017 17:35, Jez Nicholson wrote:
> Just preparing an Overpass query for the OSM workshop I am running in
> Brighton. Naturally I queried pubs....then wondered whether I need
> bother with relations....and found
> http://www.openstreetmap.org/relation/3216899
>
> Seems a bit of a sledgehammer to crack a nut.
>
> While i'm here, can anyone tell me why
> http://overpass-turbo.eu/s/szG does not return nodes and
> ways-and-their-nodes? It is very similar to the example
>
> area[name="Brighton and Hove"][admin_level=6];
> (
>   node(area)[amenity=pub];
>   way(area)[amenity=pub];
> );