[Talk-GB] The OSM UK map

Andy Townsend ajt1047 at gmail.com
Mon Oct 30 17:34:11 UTC 2017

On 30/10/2017 08:58, Nick Whitelegg wrote:

> As you may know, the plan is to produce a UK specific OSM mapping
> site. A start on this has been made here:
>

> http://www.free-map.org.uk/osmuk/
>

> using a fork of SomeoneElse (Andy)'s cartography with one very minor
> tweak so far, namely footpaths and bridleways are rendered in a style
> similar to Landranger maps.

Glad to be of service :)

There are a couple of other tweaks you'd probably want to do:

o One is to reinstate cycleways as "a thing".  In order to free up a
colour to use for public bridleways I used blue for that and just
rendered cycleways like other paths (coloured according to designation,
dashed for wide and dotted for narrow).  Green's a problem because so
much on an OSM map is different shades of grreen.  That's fine for me
(I'm not a cyclist) but something a bit more inclusive would probably
include cycleways.  Not sure what colour you'd want to go for though -
if you want to go more for OS-style colours you'd have a lot less colour
on the map than most OSM-based ones (styles designed as an "underlay"
like Mapbox Streets aside).

o Another is railways - I'm guessing you'd want to remove the rendering
of dismantled railways, and also possibly abandoned ones, but I'd
suggest keeping proposed ones so that people can see where HS2 is
going(!) (as an example,
https://map.atownsend.org.uk/maps/map/map.html#zoom=15&lat=53.11419&lon=-1.31171
shows all three types).

o If you want to do "Welsh Language first in Wales" as described in
http://www.openstreetmap.org/user/SomeoneElse/diary/42069 I can make the
load scripts available for that.  It's pretty much what's in the diary
entry but is a runnable script.

> In terms of server space, we did have a server available to us for
> development purposes (provided by Birmingham in Real Time) however
> this will be unavailable for a month or two; however our contact there
> is going to recommend some cheap hosting options.

For info, the map.atownsend.org.uk site (which covers the UK and
Ireland) currently fits nicely on a 4Gb memory / 100Gb SSD disk server
at Hetzner; at <£15 per month you could probably short-term fund it with
a whip-round in a pub.  I'm sure that the other competing options - OVH
et al - are similar; for the size of server I wanted for the UK Hetzner
made sense for me at the beginning of the year; slightly larger or
smaller on any spec parameter and something else might have been better.

Best Regards,

Andy