[Talk-GB] The "heath mapper in Wales" is back

Andy Townsend ajt1047 at gmail.com
Mon Sep 4 10:23:34 UTC 2017

On 03/09/2017 16:17, Andy Moore wrote:
> I'm not sure it's the same mapper as before but the end result is the same with massive areas mis-mapped and tagged, inaccurately even by the mapper's own admissions with all the FIXME tags.

The thing that suggests to me that it's the same mapper is that it's the
same modus operandi as before (same sorts of edits, same quality of
edits, same lack of changeset comments, same lack of reply in changeset
discussions).

> Can't these changesets just be reverted as the data is junk?

Technically yes - but before doing that I'd want to be sure that there
is a genuine feeling that the changes don't add any value. There were
relatively few changeset discussion comments at
http://resultmaps.neis-one.org/osm-discussion-comments?uid=5296090 -
what I didn't want to do was to revert (or with a DWG hat on, block) a
user for likely inaccurate edits in an area (North Wales) in which I had
little recent knowledge.

There now are more comments (for which thanks) and reversions by people
with more local knowledge than me (including you - for which also thanks).

With a DWG hat on I've applied a 4-day block
http://www.openstreetmap.org/user_blocks/1469 and linked to this
discussion.  Hopefully, unlike previous occasions, they will take the
opportunity to engage with the community and act on the feedback that
they're getting.  However it's possible that a "new" user may appear in
the next few days performing the same sort of edits - if anyone
something a bit suspect like this please drop the DWG a mail via
data at osmfoundation.org .

I'll also, based on the feedback here, revert the recent Heath changes
in North Wales that haven't already been reverted or changed by
subsequent edits.

Best Regards,

Andy