[Talk-GB] OpenStreetCam or Mapillary?

Gregory nomoregrapes at googlemail.com
Fri Sep 22 08:13:17 UTC 2017

The relevant background/motives as I understand them...

Both currently aren't too limited on funds & I licensing might allow all
photos/data to be taken for OSM if they did close down.

Mapillary is a startup for the street-level photo viewing technology.
Seemingly other things now like 3D models from point clouds made from photo
pixels. Free for us is good for them because it creates mass data to
demonstrate the tech, or helps find UI needs/desires. It could all turn off
if it's

OpenStreetCam is from Telenav. Free for us is good for them because we then
improve OpenStreetMap which they use. They might be less interested in
keeping historic versions of photos, and less interested in UI (except UI
concerning uploading photos or viewing to edit OSM).

I think I've  given up contributing atm, because I don't know which one I
care about more & I haven't set up an easy process to do both in one go. I
also had issues with Mapillary viewer only supporting the most recent
browsers.

Gregory (LivingWithDragons)